Make a vegetarian Philly cheesesteak sandwich using mushrooms!! It may not be the same, but it sure is delicious. Enjoy this for an easy weeknight dinner or a fun sandwich night with friends.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 4 large Portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, core and seeds removed, quartered
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grilled steak seasoning
- 4 Italian rolls, split length wise, toasted
- 8 slices provolone or American cheese or 4 ounces processed cheese spread
1 Heat grill to medium, about 365°. Brush both sides of mushrooms, onions and bell peppers with oil and season with steak seasoning.
2 Place on grill and close cover, cook 5 minutes on each side.
3 Remove onions and peppers from grill, thinly slice as desired. Place on aluminum foil and return to grill to keep warm.
4 Remove mushrooms and thinly slice. Lightly toast bun on grill. Remove peppers, onions and mushrooms and combine.
5 Place cheese on each split roll, top mushroom mixture.
6 Turn grill off and place sandwiches on grill with lid closed, 5 minutes or until cheese is fully melted. Cut in half and serve immediately.
Source: Photo and Recipe Courtesy of Mushroom Council and Mushroominfo.com