Assembling individual toast points can be time consuming. For a shortcut, try serving each person about 1 cup of egg salad on a bed of 1 to 2 large lettuce leaves with toast points on the side.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 large eggs
- 9 slices pumpernickel bread
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ to ½ cup Gefen Regular or Lite Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 (16-ounce) container vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- Cinnamon for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. To hard cook eggs: Place eggs in a medium saucepan with enough cold water to cover the eggs by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Cover the pan and remove from the heat. Let stand for 14 minutes.
3. While eggs are cooking, trim crusts from bread to make a square. Stack bread and cut diagonally into quarters. Place bread on two jelly-roll pans. Toast in oven for about 5 minutes or until warm and crisp. Transfer toast points to a serving platter.
4. Pour off water from eggs, shake pan back and forth to break the shells. Fill pot with cold water and peel eggs under cold running water.
5. In a medium bowl, mash eggs with a fork. Add celery, onions, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, curry powder, and mustard; mix well. Top each toast point with lettuce and egg salad.
6. Serve with Rice Pudding for dessert. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, bring milk and nutmeg just to a boil, being careful not to let milk burn. Stir in rice. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Place rice mixture in a large bowl to cool, about 5 minutes. Add yogurt and raisins; mix well. Divide equally into 6 dessert cups. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of puddings.
Source: Quick & Kosher Meals in Minutes