This recipe takes yummy fried fish and dresses it up for company. You can eat these delectable morsels with a fork or with your fingers. It makes a great light lunch or dinner.
- 4 ServingsServings
- 4 medium fillets of sole
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups seltzer
- Vegetable oil
- Rinse sole and pat dry. Slice each fillet down the center and remove the backbone. Cut each half fillet into three pieces on the diagonal. Set aside.
- Mix flour and salt. Whisk seltzer into this mixture until smooth.
- Pour about two inches of oil into skillet. Heat oil over medium flame until it is very hot. You can test it by dropping a small bit of batter into the oil. It should brown almost immediately.
- Dip each piece of sole into batter. Allow excess batter to drop off before carefully placing it in hot oil. Depending on the size of your skillet, fry about four pieces of fish at a time. As you see the sole puffing up and browning on one side, flip it over with a slotted spoon and brown it on the other side. This process should take about five or six minutes. When goujons are fried, Place them on paper towels to drain. Repeat until all the fish has been fried.
- Serve goujons at room temperature with tartar/mustard sauce or mango-blackberry salsa.