This recipe is inspired by Colavita’s beautiful ad in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller magazine's Pesach issue.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- Several thyme sprigs
- 1¼ inch coin size piece fresh ginger, optional
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon tapioca starch
- 1½ cups almond flour (not ground almonds)
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
1. Simmer strawberries, sugar, thyme, ginger, tapioca, salt and 2 tablespoons of water in a small saucepan, stirring frequently, until berries are mushy and thick.
2. Mash berries with a fork or potato masher and cook until very thick and jammy.
3. Chill completely.
1. In a small bowl, toss berries, sugar and tapioca starch together. Set aside.
1. Pulse almond flour, tapioca, sugar, salt and evoo in a food processor. Add 1 egg and process until mixture pulls together.
2. Flatten dough into a disc and wrap in parchment paper. Chill for 1 hour or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F.
4. Roll dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper to ¼ inch thickness. Remove top sheet of parchment and place bottom parchment and flattened dough on a baking sheet.
5. Schmear strawberry filling in the center of dough, leaving 1½ inch from the edge without filling.
6. Arrange strawberry topping on top of filling. Fold galette edges toward center, leaving a 3-inch opening. The dough will crack and resist this treatment. Pinch it back together and show it who’s boss!
7. Whisk remaining egg and brush it on dough, then sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top. Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting and serving.