These Gluten Free Salted Caramel Drunken Brownies are my favorite dark chocolate brownie dessert on a Purim high! Sea salt-speckled copper-colored homemade caramel is drizzled on a rich dark chocolate brownie. The rum gives the recipe the extra kick it needs for a batch of gooey, decadent, rum spiked brownies to complement your Purim beverages!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3 oz. semi-sweet dark chocolate chips or squares
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups Sydney Blend
- 1/3 cup rum
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons water
- ¼ cup cream
- 1 oz. rum
- Coarse sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a 9 x 9 inch baking pan.
2. Place butter and semi-sweet chocolate in a medium sized sauce pan and heat on low. Stir every few minutes until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time until completely mixed in. Stir in Sydney Blend and then rum until completely mixed.
3. Using a rubber spatula, scrape batter into prepared baking dish and smooth the top. Place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
4. While the brownies cool, start on the caramel sauce. Add sugar and water to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Do not stir. Boil the syrup for 6-8 minutes or until a deep amber caramel forms. Remove from heat and stir in cream. Add Rum and stir until combined. Pour the caramel sauce into a heatproof cup and let it cool slightly. If caramel gets too hard, place in the microwave for 10 seconds to liquefy. When ready to use, drizzle on top of the brownies and then sprinkle sea salt on top.
Recipe posted with permission from Blends by Orly.