Doctor up your gefilte fish loaf by turning it into fish cakes with a flavorful wasabi sauce. A really wonderful first course for a holiday meal.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 1 loaf frozen gefilte fish, defrosted (22-ounce) or 1 (24-ounce) jar, drained
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 ½ cup light mayonnaise, divided
- 4 tablespoon chopped dill
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup coarsely crushed Manischewitz matzo
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 In a large bowl combine gefilte fish, peppers, onions, celery, ½ cup mayonnaise, dill, salt, pepper, egg and matzo and stir well to combine. Using slightly wet hands, scoop ¼ cup and form into patties. Place on a sheet pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes before frying.
2 Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Fry patties in batches for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. (Can be kept warm in the oven at 250° F).
4 In a small bowl, combine remaining 1 cup mayonnaise, lemon juice and horseradish and stir. To serve, plate 2 cakes on a small plate and garnish with a tablespoon of horseradish sauce.