You can fry in evoo. But there are a couple of rules: use only high quality extra virgin olive oil (we like Colavita), keep oil at/under 360°F, and monitor oil temperature as you’re frying (using a deep fry thermometer).
Fritto Misto means “mixed fry” in Italian. So vegetables, fish, cheese, fruit, or anything you feel like frying will work with this batter. When frying cheese, freeze it first before battering so it doesn’t melt in the hot oil.
Keeping the batter cold throughout cooking stops gluten from forming, and creates a light and crispy coating. We like to use the double bowl method: a large bowl filled with ice water, and an empty smaller bowl nestled inside that bowl, to mix the batter. And keep your veggies cool, too. Butternut squash and sweet potatoes tend to dry out when cut, so place slices in a bowl of ice water until you’re ready to fry.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 6Servings
- 1 dozen green beans, trimmed
- 1 dozen butternut squash slices, sliced thinly on mandolin, about ⅛-inch thick
- 1 dozen sweet potato slices, sliced thinly on mandolin, about ⅛-inch thick
- 1 dozen stemmed shiitake mushrooms, caps skewered on bamboo knot skewers
- 1 dozen thin artichoke heart slices
- 1 dozen thin slices of orange or multi-color carrots
- ¾ cup of dark beer
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of cayenne powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cups extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
1. Line a baking sheet with a few layers of paper towels.
2. Fill a large bowl halfway full with ice and water. Nestle a smaller bowl in the large bowl on top of the ice water. Whisk beer, flour, rice flour, baking powder, cayenne, salt together in the smaller bowl.
3. Pour evoo into a heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven and place over medium heat. Clip a deep fry thermometer to the pot to monitor the oil’s temperature.
4. Meanwhile, as the oil heats up, get veggies ready for frying. Pat vegetables dry and arrange on a baking sheet or platter.
Once oil reaches 360°F, dredge a few vegetables at a time in the batter and carefully place in hot oil. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown.
5. Transfer cooked veggies to lined baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Continue frying until all vegetables are cooked.