Freekeh is an ancient grain with a ton of nutritional benefits. It is wheat that is harvested while young and green and the result is a chewy, nutty grain that I am really starting to love.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 - 6Servings
- 1 cup freekeh
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons honey
1. Simmer freekeh and water until the level of the water is even with the level of freekeh, about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover the pan, and allow steam to finish the cooking process.
2. Season the freekeh with evoo, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
3. Add the herbs, raisins, and honey and adjust seasoning as needed.