Hole In My Hearts: This recipe comes from way back in my childhood when my dad used to make us breakfasts on weekends. It was always a special treat and the best part was dipping the toasty corners and extra little middle toast into the runny yolk.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 4 tablespoon room temperature butter
- 4 slices white bread
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Special supplies: 1 heart cookie cutter
1. Prepare the bread by laying it down on a hard surface and using the cookie cutter to punch a heart-shaped hole in the center of the bread. Be sure that the surrounding bread stays intact. If you allow it to open the egg will not stay inside the bread.
2. Spread 2 tbsp. of butter on both sides of the bread and the heart cutout. Then, melt the other 2 tbsp. in a pan over medium- low heat.
3. Crack the eggs in to 4 separate cups.
4. Lay the bread into the pan carefully and allow it to toast on one side. Then, flip the bread over and carefully pour the egg into the heart-shaped hole in the bread.
5. Cook for 5-6 minutes over a low heat, or until the white part of the egg is set.
6. Then, remove from the pan and season with salt and pepper.
7. Toast the remaining heart cut outs in the pan and serve alongside the egg-in-toast.
***If you do not like a runny yolk, skip the bread toasting in step 4 and go right to pouring the egg in the bread. Then, after 5-6 minutes, carefully flip the bread over and cook for another 2-3 minutes.