Make your own dulce de leche/caramel topping to pour on top of this light and creamy simple cheesecake. This cheesecake needs time to set, so make in advance. While you are waiting for the baked cheesecake to chill in the fridge, make the Caramel Topping.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 20 crushed Oreos) or 2 cups finely ground graham crackers (about 30 squares)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pound cream cheese, 2 (8-ounce) blocks, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 dash vanilla extract
Dulce de Leche (Caramel )Topping
- Sweetened condensed milk cans (unopened)
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly coat the bottom and sides of an 8-inch springform pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a food processor, crush oreos or cookie of your choice until crumbly texture. Pour the crumbs into the pan and, using the bottom of a measuring cup or the smooth bottom of a glass, press the crumbs down into the base and 1-inch up the sides. Refrigerate for 5 minutes.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese on low speed for 1 minute until smooth and free of any lumps. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and continue to beat slowly until combined. Gradually add sugar and beat until creamy, for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add sour cream and vanilla. Periodically scrape down the sides of the bowl and the beaters. The batter should be well-mixed but not overbeaten. Pour the filling into the crust-lined pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
5. Set the cheesecake pan on a large piece of aluminum foil and fold up the sides around it. Place the cake pan in a large roasting pan. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan until the water is about halfway up the sides of the cheesecake pan; the foil will keep the water from seeping into the cheesecake.
6. Bake for 45 minutes. The cheesecake should still jiggle (it will firm up after chilling), so be careful not to overcook. Let cool in pan for 30 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator, loosely covered, for at least 4 hours. Loosen the cheesecake from the sides of the pan by running a thin metal spatula around the inside rim. Unmold and transfer to a cake plate.
7. Dulce de Leche (Caramel )Topping: In a slow cooker /crockpot cover closed cans of sweetened condensed milk with water and cook for 4 hours on high. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before opening, spread on EVERYTHING.