Cheesecake ice cream with cherry sauce and graham cracker streusel
It wouldn’t be Shavout without cheesecake. This recipe plays with that tradition by reimagining cheesecake as an ice cream sundae. With a rich cheesecake ice cream topped with a cherry sauce and graham cracker streusel, it has all the classic flavors of a New York Cheesecake in a fun and different form.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- approximately 1 quart ice cream; 2 cups sauce ServingsServings
Cheesecake Ice Cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup heavy cream, chilled
- ⅔ cup sour cream, cold
- ⅔ cup milk, cold
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup good quality cherry preserves
- 10 oz. pitted cherries, fresh or frozen, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Graham Cracker Streusel Topping
- ¼ cup butter, melted (½ stick)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
1. First, prepare the cheesecake ice cream. Place the cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until completely smooth. Beat in the cream, sour cream, and milk and mix until smooth. Add the lemon juice, vanilla, and salt and mix until combined.
2. Pour into the bowl of the ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until solid. For the best consistency, remove the ice cream from the freezer and let stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving.
3. Prepare the cherry sauce by combining all the ingredients in medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture comes to a boil. Once boiling, cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Can be made up to two days in advance and kept refrigerated. Reheat over low heat before serving.)
4. To prepare the graham cracker streusel, preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Pour the mixture out onto the prepared baking sheet in a thin even layer. Bake for 5-8 minutes until set and browned on top. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Crumble into small bits and sprinkle over ice cream.
To serve, top a scoop of ice cream with sauce and streusel.