This comforting Deckel with Root Vegetables is cooked slowly. It is an entire meal-in-one for any occassion.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 (3-4 lb.) brisket strip or deckel (or other braising cut)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 parsnips, cut into 2” pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into 2” pieces
- 1 turnip, cut into 1” pieces
- 2-3 russet potatoes peeled and cut into quarters
1. Season the deckel with salt and pepper and then sear on the stove top, in olive oil, 3-5 minutes each side
2. While the meat is searing, mix together the wine, broth, and tomatoes.
3. Line the bottom of a large Dutch oven or baking dish with root vegetables and pour in about half the liquid mixture. Place the roast on top of the liquid and veggies. Pour remaining liquid mixture on top.
4. Cover and bake at 300°F for at least 3 hours, or until desired tenderness.
5. Remove from oven and let sit 10-15 minutes. Carefully transfer meat to a cutting board and slice. Spoon vegetables and juices onto serving platter and lay meat on top to serve.
Recipe contributed by Karen Marks