This hearty soup is full of texture and spices that pair awesomely with the crunchy and fluffy whole grain pita.
Turmeric adds a subtle earthy flavor and bright color to anything it is added to. Turmeric is known for its many health benefits including its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory powers.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 - 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ¼-inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 5 stalks celery, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of crushed red pepper (or 1 fresh jalapeño, chopped)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1¼ cups dried French or green lentils, picked through and rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, 2 teaspoons freshly grated turmeric, or 1 teaspoon dried turmeric and 3 curry leaves
- 3 cups winter squash, peeled and chopped
- 3 or 4 quarts water or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1. Warm coconut oil in a large pot.
2. Add cumin seeds and toast until fragrant. Then add onion, ginger, garlic, celery, salt, and crushed red pepper; cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add carrots, lentils, curry powder or turmeric, squash and water; cover with water and simmer until the lentils are just soft, about 15 minutes.
4. Add cilantro at the end. Ladle into bowls and serve with warm pita bread..