- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 servings ServingsServings
- 3 cups :flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons :sugar
- 2 teaspoons :baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon :baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon :salt
- 3/4 teaspoon :cinnamon
- Rounded 1/4 teaspoon :nutmeg
- 1-1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) plus 2 tablespoons :cold unsalted butter or margarine, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large eggs, :lightly beaten
- 1 cup :sour cream (or non dairy substitute)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons :vanilla
- 3 cups :fresh blueberries (15 oz)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Blend 1 1/2 sticks butter into the flour with your fingertips or a pastry blender just until mixture resembles coarse meal with some small (roughly pea-size) butter lumps.
- Transfer 1 1/2 cups flour mixture to another bowl for crumb topping.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar to crumb topping, then blend with your fingertips until large lumps form.
- Whisk together eggs, sour cream, and vanilla, then add to remaining flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Fold in blueberries and spread batter, distributing berries evenly, in a buttered 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle batter evenly with crumb topping.
- Bake in middle of oven until cake is golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on a rack 20 minutes before cutting.
This crumb cake is best eaten the day it is made as the blueberries can make is soggy.