- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup stick butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces block-style cream cheese, softened (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups chopped peeled Rome or Granny Smith apples (about 2 large)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350. Beat 1-1/2 cups sugar, butter, vanilla, and cream cheese at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 4 minutes).
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Place the apples in a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of the cinnamon mixture to the apple in a bowl.
- Mix to coat and then stir the apple mixture into the batter.
- Pour the batter into an 8-inch spring form pan coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool the cake completely before trying to cut.
- It's best to use a serrated knife and a sawing motion when cutting this cake Serves 10 to 12.
Note: You can also make this cake in a 9-inch square cake pan or a 9-inch spring form pan; just reduce the cooking time by 5 minutes.