This beautiful, scarlet applesauce is a great accompaniment to latkes or as a snack on its own. Large, firm apples like honeycrisp or Granny Smith work best for this recipe. To save time on your Chanukah prep, make this applesauce up to 3 days ahead, and store covered in the refrigerator.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 CupsServings
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
1. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, add apples, cranberries, sugar, and water.
2. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until apples are falling apart and cranberries have popped.
3. Continue cooking for 5 to 10 minutes more, until mixture is very thick and a bright scarlet color throughout.
4. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.