When my recipe tester, Joy, tried this at home, her son saw the chili and said, "Let's make chili dogs!" We thought it was a great idea. My husband would climb a spiked wall for a good chili dog. Now that I know how to prepare this, I can give him a delicious one at home. Boil or grill the hot dogs, place them in buns and ladle a few spoonfuls of chili over top.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced or 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, minced or 4 frozen crushed garlic cubes
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded, veins removed, chopped
- 1 (20-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained, reserve liquid
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons crushed cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in a 6-quart stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add beef. Stir and cook until beef has lost all its pinkness. Pour off fat.
- Add bell peppers and tomatoes. Stir to mix.
- Add enough water to reserved tomato liquid to equal 2-1/2 cups. Stir into beef mixture.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 3 hours.
- Stir in beans just before serving. Heat through. Serve hot.
Recipe Courtesy of QUICK & KOSHER Recipes From The Bride Who Knew Nothing by Jamie Geller (Feldheim 2007) - BUY NOW