The unique flavor and aroma of roasted cipollini onions add luscious sweetness to to this chicken dish.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 (8-ounce) boneless chicken breast halves, skin on, wings intact
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons margarine, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 whole cipollini onions, peeled, or pearl onions
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup chicken broth, or prepared soup base
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Remove wing tip and first wing joint from chicken breasts, reserve for soup.
3. In a small bowl, mix honey, margarine, lemon zest and a little salt and pepper.
4. Push your finger under skin of each chicken breast to lightly separate skin from flesh. Push about 2 teaspoons of honey margarine mixture under skin of chicken.
5. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and reserve.
6. In a large oven-safe skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and allow to brown slightly on one side, cooking for about 7 minutes. Turn onions and brown the other side, for an additional 5 to 7 minutes.
7. With pan still on heat, add chicken to pan, skin side up. Pour in wine and broth, add time sprigs.
8. Place pan, uncovered, onto top rack of the oven. Roast at 400° F for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 165° F on a meat thermometer and the skin is golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and carefully move chicken to a platter.
10. Discard thyme sprigs and place skillet back onto stove over medium-high heat. Reduce pan juice by half, or to about ½ cup. Serve with the chicken.
Contributed by: Quick & Kosher
Delicious served alongside Saffron Apples