Chicken Piccata is an easy and flavorful weekday meal. Use chicken cutlets or pound out chicken breasts with a meat mallet to ¼-inch thick to ensure quick and even cooking throughout.
Serve this main dish garnished with crispy, briny Fried Capers and a side of Polenta Latkes or your favorite pasta shape. When frying capers, use only high quality extra virgin olive oil (we like Colavita), keep oil at/under 360°F, and monitor oil temperature as you’re frying (using a deep fry thermometer). Fried capers can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored covered at room temperature.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 large lemons
- 6 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 2 pounds), fat trimmed and pounded to ¼-inch thick
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- Garnishes: chopped flat-leaf parsley and Fried Capers
- 1 jar capers, nonpareil or large variety, drained and dried
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Slice 1 lemon into thin slices. Zest and juice remaining lemon.
3. Place flour into a shallow dish or pie pan. Generously season both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then dredge chicken in flour, and shake to remove excess.
4. Heat evoo in a large sauté pan over medium. Place 2 to 3 chicken breasts in pan and brown at 2 minutes per side. Transfer browned chicken to prepared pan. Repeat with remaining chicken. Place chicken in 300°F oven and roast for 5 to 7 minutes, or until cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, add 3 tablespoons evoo to the sauté pan used to brown the chicken, and place over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, scraping up any brown bits and remaining flour.
6. Add lemon juice, zest, sliced lemon pieces, chicken broth, and capers to the pan. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes, until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Transfer cooked chicken to a platter and pour sauce over chicken. Garnish with chopped parsley and fried capers. Serve immediately.
1. Line a plate with several layers of paper towels.
2. Pour evoo in a small sauté pan and place over medium heat until the oil reaches 350°F with a deep fry thermometer.
3. Fry capers in batches for 2 to 3 minutes, until they split and are crispy. Transfer crispy capers to prepared plate. Store at room temperature, covered, for up to 3 days.