I use fresh okra in this recipe, but if you can’t find it, you can use frozen. Don’t be alarmed by the somewhat slimy juices okra gives off. All the sliminess will disappear as it cooks.
- 12 ServingsServings
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 whole jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cup okra, washed, trimmed and cut into 3–4 pieces
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 8 cup stock
- 1 cup rice
- ½ pound cooked chicken, cut into ½-inch | 1 cm cubes
Over medium heat, sauté the onion, pepper, jalapeño, celery, okra, salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic in olive oil for 5 to 7 minutes. The vegetables should wilt but not brown.
Add the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes and stock. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 minutes.
Add the rice and simmer for another 15 minutes.
Add the cooked chicken, and simmer until the chicken is heated through and the rice is tender.