An easy Filipino one-pot dish; marinate the chicken in the same pot that you cook it in.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 5 PeopleServings
- 4 to 5 chicken leg quarters, divided into thighs and drumsticks
- 6 to 8 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce (or an additional tablespoon of brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
In a large skillet or pot, mix all ingredients and allow the chicken marinate for 30 minutes, up to overnight. Do not discard the marinade.
Bring chicken in marinade to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, lower the heat slightly and cook, covered, for about 15 minutes. Remove the cover. Flip the chicken pieces and continue to simmer, uncovered, to reduce the sauce, lowering the heat if necessary. After about 8 minutes, flip the chicken again. Add water as needed if the sauce is too thick or too salty.
Continue to simmer until chicken is fully cooked and has released its oils into the sauce, and the sauce has thickened slightly and taken on a rich, dark brown color. Serve over jasmine rice.