Creamy, sweet applesauce with just a hint of cumin—eat this on its own or as the perfect pairing with sweet potato latkes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 cupsServings
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (optional)
1. In a large bowl, toss all the apples with lemon juice and set aside.
2. Melt margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sugar and cook until the sugar begins to brown.
3. Add apples, and cook until they are soft enough to mash, about 8 minutes.
4. Stir in cinnamon, cumin and salt.
5. Remove from heat. Mash with food processor or by hand. Serve warm or at room temperature
Tips: Delicious served with Sweet Potato Latkes
Contributed by: GourmetKosherCooking.com