- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 1-1/2 tablespoon red or white wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon finely chopped shallot salt as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 lb. California asparagus, trimmed
- 3 oz. firm blue cheese, chilled
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
1 To make vinaigrette, mix vinegar, shallot, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Whisk in oil; reserve.
2 Blanch asparagus in a frying pan large enough to hold asparagus in one layer.
3 Bring approximately 3 inches of water to a boil. Stir in 1 tablespoon salt. Add asparagus. Cook at a medium boil until fork tender, about 3 minutes, depending on thickness. Drain on paper towel; cool.
4 Recipe can be made ahead to this point. Refrigerate vinaigrette and cooled asparagus, tightly sealed, if serving more than 2 hours later. Return to room temperature before continuing.
5 To assemble, arrange asparagus on a platter; drizzle with vinaigrette. Roll spears to coat with vinaigrette. Shred cheese onto a piece of wax paper, using the small holes of a shredder.
6 Evenly sprinkle shredded cheese over asparagus; scatter pine nuts over cheese.
Source: California Asparagus Commision