An outstanding addition to any meal, this savory bread stays moist and tender as Parmesan cheese melts bakes into it.
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, divided
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup milk, warmed
- 2 tablespoons extra- virgin olive oil
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 6 ounces parmesan cheese, cubed
Dough: In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, combine flour, egg yolk, 2 tablespoons butter and salt. In a separate small bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Add to flour mixture. Mix until a homogenous and elastic dough forms. Cover and set aside to rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
Cook: In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add broccoli and season with salt. Add oregano, parsley, chives and pine nuts, and sauté for about 7 minutes. Set aside.
Fill: Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a rounded long rectangle, 1-inch thick. Brush with 6 tablespoons of butter and distribute broccoli mixture and cubed parmesan along the center. Roll over to form a cylinder, and pinch to close. Fit the cylinder into a buttered bundt pan to make a ring. Set aside to rise until it fills the mold, about 30 minutes.
Bake: Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until golden brown. Unmold and serve warm.