This slaw is a great way to use the broccoli stems!!
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 5 or 6 large broccoli stems, trimmed with vegetable peeler to expose white interior, shredded in food processor
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 small fennel bulb (white bulb only, save stems and fronds for garnish), cored, shredded in food processor
For the aioli
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 3 teaspoons of water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup best quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1 Place egg yolks, mustard, water and lemon juice in a food processor or non-reactive stainless steel mixing bowl or a glass bowl. Pulse or whisk together until smooth. Slowly add oil drop by drop into the bowl while continually whisking or processing. The mixture should resemble mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2 Toss the shredded vegetables with some aioli until lightly dressed. Store leftover aioli in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.