This dish can be as colourful in flavour as a Bollywood movie or as fiery and spicey as an X-rated film! One thing is guaranteed - it will spice up your life for sure!
- 2 lbs beef, cut into strips, stroganoff-style
- little cornstarch for coating
- 1/4 cup peri oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 bird's-eye chillies, chopped, or 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 thumb-sized knob of grated fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 - 3 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180 Deg. C or 350 Deg. F.
2. Place the meat in a bowl and sift over a little cornflour. Mix well to coat.
3. Fry the meat in the peri oil in a frying pan, in small batches so that it browns quickly.
4. Remove from the pan and set aside in an ovenproof dish.
5. In the same pan, add a little more peri oil and fry the onion, garlic, chillies, ginger and coriander for about 1 minute.
6. Add the cumin, paprika, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick and give it a good stir.
7. Add the tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, coconut milk, salt and pepper and continue to stir until it starts to boil.
8. Once boiling, remove from the heat and pour over the meat.
9. Cover and bake in the oven for 35 - 40 minutes.
10. Remove the cardamom pods and cinnamon stick just before serving. Serve on a bed of Basmati rice with a side serving of chutney.