These striking jewel-toned latkes are deliciously sweet! The healthy beets and carrots look gorgeous and provide tons of nutrition.
For a lite version, these latkes can be baked.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ounces fresh beets, peeled
- 8 ounces carrots, peeled
- 1 small red onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
1. In a food processor, coarsely grate beets, carrots, and onion. Transfer to medium bowl.
2. Add eggs, flour, salt, and pepper; stir to combine.
1. In a large skillet, add evoo until depth reaches ½ inch, and heat over medium-high heat. Spoon ¼-cup sized scoops of latke mixture into the pan, and flatten with the back of a spoon or spatula. Fry until golden, 4-6 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place ¼-cup sized spoonfuls of the prepared latke mixture on a cookie sheet lined with parchment and coated with evoo. Flatten each latke with the back of a spatula.
2. Bake for 10 minutes. Flip the latkes and bake for another 10 minutes, until crisp and golden.