- 2 loaves or 24 muffins ServingsServings
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 1/3 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup Water
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed well
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spoon flours into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Whisk together with the next 4 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a large bowl.
- Combine sugar, egg whites, oil, milk, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and eggs in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer at a high speed until blended.
- Add water and mashed bananas, beating at a low speed until blended together.
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture and beat at a low speed just until combined (don’t over mix.)
- Coat 2 loaf pans (9 X 5 inch each) or muffin tins (24 muffins) with cooking spray.
- Spoon batter into pans and fill half-way. Sprinkle pecans evenly over batter.
- Bake breads (in loaf pans) for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, or bake muffins (in muffin tins) for 30 minutes and check as above.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
Source: BONNIE TAUB-DIX,MA,RD,CDN