I got this recipe from a vegetarian cooking class I took in Bali. They have several kinds of Sambal sauces, this one has tomatoes and considered more spicy.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 cup ServingsServings
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 red onion or 2 shallots
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 long red chilies, seeds removed
- 1 finger chile pepper
- 1 small tomato, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or fish sauce (optional)
Heat coconut oil and add all the ingredients except lime juice and soy sauce. Cook until everything is roasted, then cool.
Grind in a mortar and pestle or food processor and then add lime juice and soy sauce.
Serve with everything the way you would ketchup.