A middle-eastern classic known throughout the world, this cinch of a Baklava beats anything you can get at the store.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 (1-pound) box filo dough, defrosted and at room temperature
- 1 cup raw pistachio pieces
- 1 cup raw chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raw chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon honey
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix nuts with the cinnamon and 1/4 cup sugar. Make sure it is mixed well.
3. Using a pastry brush, brush a light layer of margarine across the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan (do not to use a disposable aluminum pan).
4. Take the filo sheets 2 at a time and layer along the bottom of the pan, brushing each layer with margarine.
5. After using half the sheets, pour the nut mixture across the whole.
Continue layering filo and margarine until there are no more sheets left.
6. Cut into diamond-shaped pieces and bake for 45 minutes until top is golden.
7. In the meantime bring the remaining 3 cups sugar, water and honey to a boil. Pour this carefully over the cooked baklava and allow it to be absorbed.
8. Cool, cover and store in the refrigerator.
Allow baklava to cool slightly before pouring sugar syrup on top or the syrup will bubble over. Freezes well.