An easy, family-friendly chicken dish that features the sweetness of baked onions. Try it; this dish will become an all-time favorite.
My friend Malki told me all about her "easiest ever" family favorite: onion soup mix chicken. I just had to try it. She literally uses just onion soup mix, but I've added a few other steps and adapted it to indulge my baked onion cravings.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoon onion soup mix, divided
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 chicken, about 3 1/2 pounds, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix olive oil and 1 tablespoon onion soup mix.
- Add onions and stir in olive oil and onion soup mixture.
- Place about a quarter of the onions on the bottom of prepared pan.
- Rinse chicken pieces, pat dry and place on top of onions in pan.
- Season chicken with remaining 2 tablespoons of onion soup mix, paprika and pepper.
- Scatter remaining onions and olive oil mixture on and around chicken, making sure to drizzle some of the remaining oil over chicken skin.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until chicken is browned.
If you have enough time, slice an additional onion and stuff a few slivers under the skin of each piece of chicken.
To make your own onion soup mix try this recipe - http://www.joyofkosher.com/recipes/homemade-healthy-onion-soup-mix/