Double the recipe and bake in a 13 by 9 inch baking pan.
- 5-6 ServingsServings
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 large (about 2 pounds) tart apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins, dried cherries, chopped dates, or dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, hazelnuts or walnuts, or 1 cup grated unsweetened desiccated coconut (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees if using a glass pan). Grease a 9-inch-square baking pan or large loaf pan.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and, if using, cinnamon. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy, about 5 minutes. Blend in the oil and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture. Add the apples, raisins, and, if using,nuts.
3. Spoon into the prepared pan. Bake until golden, about 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.