Crispy Apple Fritters make the perfect fried dessert for Chanukah. Made with half rice four and half all-purpose, this batter ensures your apple fritters are light and crispy, almost like a tempura.
Use firm, crisp apples like Granny Smith, since they hold up well in frying. A ⅓ cup measure will help you form uniform fritters, too. To ensure fritters cook evenly, spread the batter after you place it in the oil. Using 2 forks, carefully spread out the apples, separating them a bit to flatten the fritter so that it looks more like a latke.
And yes, you can fry in evoo. But there are a few things to keep in mind: use only high quality extra virgin olive oil (we like Colavita), keep oil at/under 360°F, and monitor oil temperature as you’re frying (with a deep fry thermometer).
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 16 FrittersServings
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ice-cold water
- 1 pound Granny Smith apples (about 3), unpeeled, cored, and cut into 2-inch long sticks that are ¼-inch thick
- 1½ cups extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1. Line a plate with several layers of paper towels.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, rice flour, egg, and ⅓ cup of water. Mix vigorously with a whisk until smooth; the mixture will be fairly thick. Add remaining water and mix again until the water is incorporated. Stir apple pieces into batter.
3. Place sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and stir together.
4. In a large, heavy frying pan, pour in evoo and place over medium heat. Once evoo reaches 365°F when measured with a deep fry thermometer, drop ⅓ cup of batter into the pan. Using 2 forks, carefully separate and spread out the apples and batter to flatten the fritter to ½-inch thick so that it looks more like a latke. To keep from overcrowding the pan, make 4 or 5 fritters at a time. Cook for 3 minutes on each side, until brown and crisp.
5. Drain hot fritters on prepared plate. Dredge fritters in the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Serve immediately.