These muffins are fluffy, sweet, and packed with wholesome ingredients including apples, carrots and whole-wheat flour. Kids can help prepare the entire dish since it doesn’t require an electric mixer.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 MuffinsServings
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup apple, peeled and grated (about 1 apple)
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and grated (about 1 carrot)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
Kids 2 and up:
2. In a large bowl, mix flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a separate, medium-sized bowl, combine eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, apples, and carrots. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir well. Line two standard 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
Kids 6 and up:
3. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups, filling each one about three-quarters full.
4. Bake muffins at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or when a toothpick comes out clean from 1 or 2 center muffins. Cool the muffins for 1 hour.
Kid Tip: Leave carrot grating to bigger kids (age 8 and up), since it can be tricky for the small kids.
Cooking Tips: Gala or McIntosh apples are best for baking. To make mini muffins, reduce baking time to 15 to 18 minutes, since they bake faster than the regular-sized muffins.
Source: Recipe from Easy Meals to Cook with Kids© 2010 by Julie Negrin