Apple and parsnips pair perfectly in this balanced, flavorful, warming soup.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 pound parsnips, peeld and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces, plus more for garnish if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 cups chicken flavored broth
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté 2 minutes.
2. Add parsnips and sauté 3 minutes more. Add apples and stir 1 minute. Add curry powder, coriander and garlic powder, stir to coat. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Let cool.
4. Puree soup with an immersion blender or working in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth, thinning with more broth if desired.
5. Return soup to clean pot and bring to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To serve divide between bowls and garnish with olive oil and sliced apple if desired.