Classic Swiss Steak served over pasta (use your favorite kind) is always welcome and always good. One of our favorites for a good, filling meal.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck shoulder steaks, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup prepared picante sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked pasta, cooked
1. Cut beef steak into 6 pieces and pound to 1/4 inch thickness. Combine flour, salt and pepper. Lightly coat beef with flour mixture.
2. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef in batches. Pour off drippings.
3. Return beef to stockpot. Add remaining ingredients, except pasta. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender. If sauce becomes too thick, stir in a little water.
Serve over pasta.