A hearty, quick vegetable minestrone soup that is a snap to make.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 ounces kale or spinach (6 cups), shredded
- 1 (1-pound) bag frozen, mixed Italian vegetables such as zucchini, green beans, cauliflower, and broccoli
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can "petite" diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup ditalini pasta or small elbow macaroni
- 5 to 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat oil in a stock pot until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add kale and sauté, stirring 1 minute.
- Add frozen vegetables, tomatoes with juice, pasta, broth, water, salt, and pepper and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender and pasta is al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place half of beans in a wide shallow bowl and coarsely mash them with a fork or a potato masher, then stir mashed and whole beans into soup and simmer, stirring occasionally until soup is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
A hearty vegetable soup that's a snap to make and so much better than the stuff from a can.