There is nothing better than taking a lazy summer afternoon to enjoy awesome food, with your feet in the grass under the warmth of the sun with great company. Most common picnic meals include mayonnaise-laden salads, heavy foods and all sorts of waste left behind. It doesn’t need to be that way.
Following the principals I lay out in my book UnDiet, your picnics can be delicious, light and waste-free, ensuring that we feel vibrant and keep our planet happy for future generations of picnic-lovers!
Simple Summer Picnic Guidelines:
- Easily portable
- Enjoyed at room temperature
- Easy and clean to eat
- Hearty and filling
- Protein, fat and fiber rich so you feel satiated
At a typical picnic, you’ll often find paper plates, plastic cutlery and disposable napkins! Rather than buying and bringing disposables for your picnic, aim to make your picnic basket waste-free.
Tips for Packing A Waste-Free Picnic:
- Large picnic basket and/or tote bags
- Sealable tempered glass containers
- Mason jars for your drinks and smoothies
- Glass straws that can be re-used over and over again
- Bamboo cutlery over plastic, or even better, take your cutlery from home and throw it in the dishwasher after
- Cloth napkins
- Lightweight unbreakable reusable dishes or compostable options
Photos by Catherine Farquharson
Recipes Excerpted from Undiet: Eat Your Way to Vibrant Health. Copyright © 2013 Meghan Telpner. Published by McClelland & Stewart, a division of Random House of Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved
Want stories like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for the Joy of Kosher Weekly Newsletter.